Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blog post 2

1.)
In the short video "Mr. Dance a lot ", I believe the central idea was trying to depict how students should not be taught in a classroom. The instructor read directly from the power points, this can be tedious and it's not the best way to teach. The teacher remained behind the desk during the lesson. He tried to demonstrate the dance moves but the students did not have a clear view of the instructors feet. When teaching the instructor should always make sure his students can view his lesson. The author makes the conclusion that this is not the best way to teach by showing the students confused responses. Many students grumbled and ground that, " this was the worst class they've ever had." I agree with the author's conclusion, The students negative responses proved that they were uninterested and struggled learning the dance moves. Overall, I think this video gave great insight on why it is so important to be a passionate educator.
2.)
I think Roberts believes that teaching the 21st century, is centered around the use of technology.
When I was in elementary school, I were taught from the chalkboard. In middle school I was taught by dry erase boards and overhead projectors. During high school and college I have been taught via Smart Boards. Basically, technology is always changing and growing. It is our duty as future educators to learn how to use the newest technology. It Is wrong not to teach our future students valuable tools just because we are unable to evolve with technology. The internet is a fantastic source for students to learn and expand on current events. Roberts believes that today's students should be well informed with current events and I couldn't agree more. I believe that technology is growing at a rapid pace and because I am a future educator, I must keep up with it. My favorite line from the presentation was, "teachers are not the main source of knowledge anymore, we are the filter." It is our job as educators to teach children the ways to use the internet. By not teaching the proper way to use current technology we are preventing students from reaching their full potential. I personally believe technology is a fascinating tool. For example, right now I am typing this paragraph on my iPad while listening to classical music on Pandora.
3.)
In the video, the networked student, it discusses a different type of learning. The student in the video explored a wide variety of sources and was able to listen to lectures taught by some of the best teachers in the world. Although this technology was impressive I still believe the student was most likely taught to use these sources by their teacher. The question, " does the student even need a teacher " really made me ponder. Students can't just rely on The internet. They need outside help if they are confused. Also the personal interaction with a mature adult helps build character and people skills.

4.)
I believe Davis' thesis is that students should also be teachers. I personally agree with this statement. You shouldn't have to hold a student's hand through everything they learn . Doing this can actually create a negative outcome. For example, the teacher isn't always going to be there to give their help and advice. I know in my online classes, I have many thoughts and questions about the material but I figure them out myself because the teacher is not around. I believe being a self learner and a self teacher is a more mature way of learning.

5.) In Dr. Strange's video, the topic of discussion was an education race. The runner involved are: undergraduate students, graduate students, and elementary school students. I personally believe that learning shouldn't really be a race. What is important is learning valuable skills, it is not how fast you learn them that matters. If I did have to pick a race winner though, I would have to give it to the elementary school students hands down. The kids I babysit are eight and they can do so much more on a computer than I can. The two year-old I know can effectively use an ipad. Children are learning how to use technology at younger ages, and it is fantastic.

6.) 
I actually have heard of flipping the classroom before. I think the concept is not a good idea. In nurisng  school we watched online lectures from home sometimes, and it was so boring! Lectures are boring enough for the most part. And when you have to watch them at home after school in your bed, they only make you want to fall asleep even more. I think it is not a good teaching aproach becuase the student might have quesitons he or she needs answered right there and then. 

7.) 
http://chronicle.com/article/Bringing-the-Locker-Room-Into/145761/
With the article "Bringing coaching into the classroom" I belive it is trying to say you don't
Have to be the perfect teacher. You need to be a teacher that is passionate and encouraging. I'd you belive in your students then your students are more likely to belive in you. I thought the message this article had was very insightful. 
Source of dance shoe www.shoes4u.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bailey!

    First, I'd like to say that there were a few statements that I liked and agree with. Here they are:
    1. "Overall, I think this video gave great insight on why it is so important to be a passionate educator." I think being a passionate teacher is extremely important! Otherwise, why would you teach? It requires a love for what you are doing!
    2. "By not teaching the proper way to use current technology we are preventing students from reaching their full potential." This kind of goes with the previous one! If you are passionate about what you do, then you truly want your students to reach their full potential. With that being said, it is important to be willing to do whatever it takes for them! (Even if that means you have to step out of your comfort zone!)
    3. "I personally believe that learning shouldn't really be a race." When you consider that the backgrounds and the stages of life are different for all learners, this is true!

    I do have a few suggestions as far as your format goes on this post. The first is to use the same style of numbering. The first two videos are not numbers, and 3 and 5 are different from the rest. It's easy to miss little things like this, but it is something that you need to be aware of. The second thing is that there are no links to any of the videos. I personally already have the links and can go look at them again if I wanted. However, this blog can be reached by everyone, and they can't fully experience this learning journey of yours if they don't know how to get to sources you are talking about. The third thing is that the photo does not have alt/title modifiers on it, and it's a requirement for the post. You can find directions for them on the ALT and TITLE Modifiers document.

    I hope this helped you! Good luck on your future posts on this journey in EDM310!
    Jennifer Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete